- Masters level courses taught in English by internationally known faculty and experts.
- One-on-one academic mentorship within the Tutor system structure.
- Participation in cutting edge research projects.
- A course of study that focuses on real-world problem contexts.
- The opportunity to study at an internationally ranked technical university located in the city of Zurich.
- Graduates are exposed to a broad spectrum of knowledge including: energy flows in and around buildings, building system design, engineering expertise in building design, building operation and control, building services, energy management systems, knowledge of new energy technologies for buildings, renewable energy technologies, and for comfort, safety, economic and environmental aspects.
- Graduates will be able to integrate state-of-the-art knowledge on building systems and technologies into complex buildings.
- Graduates develop a basic knowledge in the fields of building, mechanical, civil and electrical engineering and a basic understanding of physics, thermo and fluid dynamics, applied mathematics, engineering, building technology and building construction.
The Tutor System
Upon commencement of their studies, students define an individual study programme within an area of focus. Based on their interests, each student will be assigned an ETH Professor, who is designated as his or her MBS tutor. The role of the tutor is to act as an academic advisor and support the development of each student's personal curriculum through the supervision of the student's Learning Agreement (LAG), which is subject to Tutor approval. The system provides students the opportunity to develop a mentee-mentor relationship with experts in the field of integrated building systems. Procedurally within two weeks after assignment of the Tutor, the students make an appointment with their tutor. Students submit a proposal for their desired curriculum in preparation for this interview and discuss their interests, expectations and objectives with the Tutor assigned to them. Students must then submit their final curriculum to the studies secretariat with the signature of the tutor by the end of the first semester. Information on current MBS Tutors can be found here.
The Masters programme in Integrated Building Systems (MBS) provides a science-based education in building systems and technologies with a strong emphasis on the energy performance and the environmental impacts of buildings.Teaching in the programme focuses on the integration of sustainable energy technologies at building and urban levels, the methodology and tools to master the complex design of integrated building systems, as well as the operation and management of buildings. Interdisciplinary by design and grounded in real-world problem contexts, the programme combines methods and insights from the disciplines of architecture, civil, mechanical, socio-economic, environmental and electrical engineering.
The MBS programme is located at the ETH Department of Architecture and offered in close partnership with ETH Departments of Management, Technology, and Economics; Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering; Information Technology and Electrical Engineering; in addition to Mechanical and Process Engineering.
Rämistrasse 101, 8092 Zürich
Zürich , Switzerland