Executive / senior industry position
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a Steel Structures Mechanical Engineer willing to represent CERN in the follow up of the production and assembly processes of the LBNF/DUNE cryostats?
You will be integrated in the LBNF/DUNE cryostats project structure, part of the Neutrino Platform CERN effort. Find more here: https://cenf.web.cern.ch/aboutcenf/general-information
If you relish a challenge, join CERN`s Neutrino Platform and realize your potential. Take part!
As a Steel Structures Mechanical Engineer, you will:
- Coordinate the Cryostat components production contracts execution, in particular: quality control, schedule follow-up, deliverables acceptance processes at contractors’ site and logistics. The production techniques involved in the manufacturing process are, cutting and welding steel plates and profiles and the assembly of mechanical structures. The dimensional acceptance will involve the application of conventional metrology techniques.
- Coordinate the Cryostat assembly contracts execution, in particular: quality control, schedule follow-up, coordination with stakeholders at the erection site (SURF).You will be responsible of the follow-up of the work program of the contractor in charge of the assembly of the Cryostats, accepting and verifying the advancement of the works according to the technical specifications and the corresponding contractual conditions. The dimensional acceptance will involve the application of conventional metrology techniques. You will be responsible of the in-situ coordination of CERN activities contractors in the framework of the overall activities at SURF during the Cryostats assembly contract execution.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
Required experience in the:
- Production follow-up and quality control of steel welded structures;
- Erection of complex steel structures;
- Assembly of LNG tanks based on GTT Mark III systems will be highly considered.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: welding;
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment;
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology;
- Team management;
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation;
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available;
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Working in the interest of the organization: demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks; focusing on the broader picture; being able to set aside individual or team needs in the interest of the Organization; promoting synergy and cooperation between the various parts of the Organization.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French language would be an asset or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 26.10.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: RCS-PRJ-NP-2022-116-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer