Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic technical engineer in mechanics looking to acquire RF power experience whilst working on complex RF problematics? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
You will be working with the Amplifiers & Couplers section of the Radio Frequency Group.
The team is responsible for the design, operation and maintenance of large RF power plants and related infrastructure, and we are also designing the amplifiers of the future!
We are working with power systems producing between 20 kW and 2 MW of RF power in the frequency range of 100 to 800 MHz. Employed amplifier technologies include solid state, tetrodes and IOT (Inductive Output Tubes). We also design, construct and test the RF power lines and the RF power couplers that enables the amplifiers to feed the accelerating cavities.
As a Mechanical technical Engineer in the Amplifiers and Couplers section, you will be part of a team working on RF power amplifiers and RF couplers with the responsibility for:
- Designing large mechanical units or systems:
- Carrying out the technical design phase (making the necessary calculations, choosing materials, methods and techniques for manufacturing) and writing technical specifications;
- Making the necessary drawings or supervising the detailed design studies;
- Testing and commissioning large mechanical units or systems:
- Developing test procedures and defining plans (acceptance tests, QA, QC, acceptance criteria);
- Operating, maintaining and consolidating large mechanical units or systems:
- Carrying out or planning, organising and directing the operation, maintenance, repair, testing and modification of major systems, equipment, machinery and complex technical installations;
- Distributing the project schedule and implementing it in cooperation with the various contractors and coordinating multi-disciplinary teams;
- Making sure that all necessary safety measures are taken on the work sites;
- Managing procurement and contracts.
The selected candidate must be willing to travel on a sporadic basis.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
Initial experience with mechanics.
- Experience with high-power RF component manufacturing and testing;
- Experience with RF system operation and maintenance;
- Knowledge and use of vacuum pumps;
- Operation and maintenance of RF components and systems.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment;
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation;
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts;
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals; demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks; following rules and regulations and encouraging others to do the same.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.01.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-RF-AC-2022-200-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technical Engineer
Practitioner / consultant
Geneva, GENEVA, CH
Genève , Switzerland