Faculty / researcher
7000 East Ave, Livermore, CA 94550
- Conduct research in laser-matter interaction science, laser-materials processing and related microscale characterization.
- Develop laser-based approaches for studying and processing materials.
- Perform measurements, analysis, and modification of optical systems.
- Engineer, construct, and modify optical apparatus for materials characterization.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at national and international conferences.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate activities of supporting technical personnel at LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Physics, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Experience in laser technology and optics, and fundamentals of laser-matter interactions.
- Knowledge of thermal and optical properties of materials, e.g., metal alloys, wide gap semiconductors and VisNIR optical materials.
- Experience with continuous wave (CW) and pulsed (fast/ultrafast) laser systems.
- Experience in laser processing and hands-on laboratory experimentation (e.g., ability to configure automated experiments for efficient data collection).
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Experience in using class 4 lasers, optics layout and engineering.
- Experience in computer programming for data analysis (e.g., Python, Matlab, Mathematica, C/C++), and programming for instrumentation design and control (e.g., LabView, Zeemax).
- Demonstrated mathematical background and knowledge of optical transport theory.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.