Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
As a Mechanical Engineer in CERN's Engineering Department, you'll have the opportunity to get involved in the whole lifecycle of mechanical fabrication of components for CERN's particle accelerators. Come test yourself against a diverse range of technologies, serving as the link between physics and mechanical fabrication.
You will join:
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. The position is opened in the Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) Group, which provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, fabrication facilities, and material science support.
In particular, the Machining & Maintenance section (MA), which masters a wide range of machining technologies through dedicated in-house fabrication facilities. MA section provides a CERN-wide service in the machining and mechanical assembly of devices for particle accelerator applications, while maintaining and developing a corresponding 40 years old know-how. You will join a team of highly qualified technicians and engineers in CNC machining. Perform tasks in a highly technical content, involving state-of-the-art fabrication equipment;
As a Machining and Assembly Mechanical Engineer in the MA Section, you will:
- Develop machining, manufacturing and mechanical assembly methods for the fabrication of high-precision prototypes and components for accelerators and experimental facilities;
- Identify and justify investments in new tooling, fixtures, or equipment and implement into fabrication process. Manage technical tendering for procurement of machining centres and related systems, including drafting of technical specifications and management of related supply contracts;
- Take the lead in manufacturing and component repair operations such as machining, EDM, shaping, welding, heat treatments, vacuum brazing, surface finishing, NDT, etc.
- Manage to the whole fabrication process of product design, materials selection, assembly methods, programming and tooling on CNC machining centres;
- Review drawing files and adapt them for machining and assembly, including providing technical advice to stakeholders on machining methods and related design (design for manufacturing);
- Provide costs and resources estimates for fabrications;
- Assume direct responsibility for the technical coordination of CERN internal fabrication projects;
- Establish and maintain a network with specialised laboratories / firms worldwide; perform technical coordination of stemming collaborations;
- Supervision of graduates.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering with specific emphasis on Industrial Fabrication or a related field.
- Proven experience in mechanical design and fabrication projects in a professional context including design for fabrication, cost estimation, project management and scheduling (from design to prototyping, manufacturing, assembly and commissioning phases);
- Demonstrated experience in the fabrication of parts and mechanical assembly of components for cryogenics, radiofrequency, magnets or similar equipment;
- Demonstrated experience in definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing, and control;
- Demonstrated experience in drafting technical drawings.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: in particular ability to read/interpret technical drawings and ISO dimensioning and tolerancing; knowledge of CAD tools, preferably CATIATM.
- Quality management: knowledge of quality control procedures and standards applicable to mechanical production including metrology and mechanical measurements, destructive and non-destructive controls, corresponding Quality Assurance activities.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: , in the field of machining and precise mechanical assembly;
- Design and construction of machines: involving high precise tolerances. Familiarity with non-metallic and metallic materials, such as titanium, aluminium, copper alloys, niobium and stainless steels;
- Mechanical aptitude
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking
- Optimising Resources: effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources Accurately identifying core activities, taking appropriate in- and out-sourcing decisions and implementing accordingly
- Creating Vision and Strategic Partnerships: creating shared interests and promoting contact and collaboration with key external partners
- Demonstrating Accountability: making appropriate use of the Organization's resources Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.02.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-MME-MA-2022-197-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further
Practitioner / consultant
Geneva, GENEVA, CH
Genève , Switzerland