Researcher / analyst
Serves as an Environmental Engineer within the Office of Environmental Health, Division of Sanitation Facilities Construction, Responsible for the planning, design and implementation of the sanitation facilities construction program. Works under the supervision of the District Engineer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP) and Merit Promotion Plan (MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-21-NJ-11046957-ESEP/DE; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Project development and/or design of new construction and additions or improvements to existing water, sewer and solid waste facilities and systems; may pertain to both routing projects and portions of large complex projects.
- Performs engineering surveys and prepares feasibility studies (project summaries) which recommend sanitation facilities for homes.
- Calculates pressures or pressure losses considering such factors as areas to be serviced or protected, controls to be used, usage frequency, and volume; determines nature of waste or water and specific requirements with respect to location, size, quantities, sizing of pumps, spacing of valves, hydrants, reservoirs and routing of distribution of collection systems.
- Prepares water, sewer, and solid waste concept, preliminary and final design analysis, drawings, quantity estimates, cost estimates, and project specifications.
- Reviews Architecture/Engineering designs and specification for conformance with contractual requirements, economy and feasibility of design, accuracy of design and adequacy of type, size and capacity of components.
- Maintains project records such as periodic progress and status reports, cost information, design files and information for final reports.
- Performs field investigations of proposed project home locations to gather information for planning sanitation facility projects.
- Will be required to operate a Government Vehicle to conduct field assessments.
Conditions of Employment
Selectee may be subject to a probationary period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
You will need to set up direct deposit so we can pay you.
Background Investigation: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process.
Fingerprinting, as part of the background investigation process, may be delayed due to COVID-19. All other background investigation procedures will apply. Be advised that your continued employment will require you to complete a fingerprint check within 60 days after notification of return to full operations and successfully obtaining a favorable background investigation.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Degree: Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Professional registration or licensure -- Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT) or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
- Written Test -- Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)2 examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
- Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included the courses specified in the basic requirements under paragraph A. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of an engineering program as described in paragraph A.
- Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
GS-05: Applicants who meet the basic requirements are qualified for the GS-05 grade level.
GS-07: At least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Examples of specialized experience include: Collects and analyzes data on local water distribution systems, water storage facilities, sewage or waste treatment systems for design of new construction or improvements to existing facilities. Prepares water, sewer and solid waste concept, preliminary and final design analysis, drawings, quantity estimates, cost estimates and project specifications. Applies engineering practices, methods, and techniques in preparation of layout and detailed drawings for water, sewer and solid waste facilities and systems.
OR Superior Academic Achievement at the baccalaureate level in an engineering program.
OR 1 full year of graduate level education in Engineering.
OR A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience.
GS-09: At least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Examples of specialized experience include: Performs engineering surveys and prepares feasibility studies (project summaries) which recommend sanitation facilities for homes. Collects and analyzes data on local water distribution systems, water storage facilities, sewage or waste treatment systems for design of new construction. Calculates pressures or pressure losses considering such factors as areas to be serviced or protected, controls to be used, usage frequency, and volume; determines nature of waste or water and specific requirements with respect to location, size, quantities, sizing of pumps, spacing of valves, hydrants, reservoirs and routing of distribution or collection systems. Prepares technical specifications of construction materials, estimates type, capacity, and cost of construction, equipment, and materials. Investigates malfunctioning water and sewer system components and makes preliminary diagnosis.
OR A master's or equivalent degree in Engineering.
OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree which provides you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of this position.
OR A combination of graduate level education and 1 year of specialized experience.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Researcher / analyst
Indian Health Service
Fort Defiance , United States