Researcher / analyst
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join the Geodetic Metrology group at CERN, where you will push the limits of accelerator alignment to shape the future of CERN accelerators! Participate in the development and qualification of new high precision alignment methods with sensors based on advanced technologies and novel adjustment solutions! Take part!
As an electronics Engineer you will be integrated in the multi-disciplinary team of the High Precision Alignment Technologies Section, being in charge of the development, installation and commissioning of all alignment solutions requiring micrometric accuracy in harsh environment. The section is more particularly engaged in the research, development and implementation of solutions based on advanced technologies as interferometric and capacitive measurement systems.
- You will be in charge of the maintenance and consolidation of the acquisition and control/command chains of the alignment solutions of the Large Hadron Collider.
- You will be responsible for the design, qualification, preparation, installation and commissioning of the whole chain of signal acquisition (from the cable to the remote electronics and acquisition, via the software) for the alignment sensors and their associated electro-mechanical and opto-electronics systems. This will include the design and simulation of front-end electronics for analog sensors and transducers; digital electronic circuits (microcontroller and FPGA) and their qualification on dedicated test setups.
- You will prepare all associated documentation: specifications (functional, technical), minutes of meetings, market surveys, installation reports.
- You will perform the technical supervision of technicians and engineers in electronics, optics and controls for the design, construction, assembly, installation, testing and commissioning of high precision alignment systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electronics, opto-electronics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, simulation and commissioning of analog and digital electronics circuits
- Demonstrated experience in the design of sensor instrumentation and measurement systems
- Demonstrated experience with the design, operation, and maintenance of controls systems
- Proven experience in mentoring junior engineers or technicians
- A proven experience in the design and simulation of optical and optoelectronic systems would be an asset
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques
- Design and simulation of front-end electronics for analog sensors and transducers
- Design of electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA)
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages, in particular C++, Python, Matlab and LabVIEW
- Knowledge and application of signal integrity techniques
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak. Utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion. Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them. Assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements. Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or willingness ot learn. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than midnight GMT+1 13.04.2023
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-GM-HPA-2023-31-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Researcher / analyst
Geneva, GENEVA, CH
Genève , Switzerland