Grants - Financial Aid

College of the Siskiyous
Posted on:


Research/project funding


A grant is gift aid that does not have to be repaid as long as eligibility is maintained. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student's financial aid award includes grants.

Federal Pell Grants are federally funded awards. All financial aid applicants are required to apply for a Pell Grant each year by completing the FAFSA. Recipients must maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. All applicants are notified via a document, the "Student Aid Report" (SAR). Grants range from $593 to $5920, depending on unit enrollment, expected family contribution (EFC), and cost of attendance at College of the Siskiyous.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are federally funded awards designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. All applicants are automatically considered for this award.
(*COS annual maximum is $400.)


The California CHAFEE Grant is free money for current or former California foster youth to assist with college costs for career or technical training. The grant can be used to pay for child care, rent and transportationwhile your're attending school. CHAFEE is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of funds. To qualify, you must:

be a current or former foster youth

not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year

To apply you must submit the California CHAFEE Grant Application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) orCalifornia Dream Act Application (CADA) and your school submits the CHAFEE Needs Anaylsis Report (NAR). After you apply the commission will review your FAFSA or CADA and CHAFEE Grant Application. The California Department of Social Services may verify your foster status. We will determine your financial aid eligibility. Once this is finished the commission will send you a letter if you are selected for an award. We will then verify payment eligibility and disburse the check to you. You must be enrolled in an eligible school, enrolled in at least half time, enroll in the program at least one academic year, attend class regularly and maintain your SAP.

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act allows undocumented and non-resident documented students who meet certain provisions to apply for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver and Cal Grants. To apply complete the California Dream Act Application.

California College Promise Grant – (Formerly the Board of Governors Fee Waiver, BOGW)

The California College Promise Grant is a state-sponsored program which waives the enrollment fees (currently $46 per unit) for qualifying students. Students qualify for the fee waiver if they meet the following criteria:

Method A: The student or student's family is receiving TANF/AFDC, SSI or General Assistance. You are required to provide current proof of benefits when submitting your California College Promise Grant application to the Financial Aid Office.

Method B: The student meets the California College Promise Grant B income standards based on the 2016 poverty guideline thresholds. See attached income Standards for 2017-2018.

More Information

Posted on:


Research/project funding


Weed , United States