Executive / senior industry position
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter, fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a Senior Project Manager in the field of construction with outstanding organizational and negotiation skills? Do you enjoy achieving high-quality results? Then, make your contribution to exciting and dynamic construction projects on the CERN sites in Switzerland and France within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
As Senior Project Manager Buildings, you will be responsible for the execution of new build projects from the initial conceptual design to the final delivery to the end-users. The project value will vary in the range of 40-80 MCHF and the objective is to create architecturally inspiring and environmentally sound new buildings in which CERN staff and users truly feel at home and happy to work.
- Gather project requirements to develop a design brief and conduct a feasibility study to confirm the project scope, cost estimate and programme.
- Develop the project management plan to define the organization, resources, procurement and delivery strategy.
- Lead the procurement process of the design consultant, set up and run the consultant’s contract (FIDIC) from preliminary design to construction and take over.
- Lead the procurement process of the general contractor, set up and run the construction contract (FIDIC) from commencement, through construction and taking over.
- Coordinate budget, resources and activities and ensure the contractual and financial follow-up to guarentee that costs and schedules are respected. Negotiate financial variations, claims and agreements with consultants and contractors.
- Manage the administrative procedures including the building permit application and coordinate the interfaces between external designers and contractors and internal CERN services and stakeholders.
- Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil engineering, architecture or a related field.
- Project Management Certification (e.g. PMP) will be an asset.
- Proven experience in project delivery of large (> 30MCHF) construction projects and tertiary buildings with full responsibility throughout the project lifecycle from concept design to construction and hand-over.
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager for the design and execution of tertiary buildings, such as offices, laboratories, classrooms, auditoria, restaurants.
- Proven experience with procurement processes, design management and as central point-of-contact.
The following will be considered as an asset:
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams, international construction contracts (i.e. FIDIC), EN and SIA construction standards.
- Experience with sustainable buildings, incorporating enhanced insulation, low energy HVAC systems, renewable energy and low carbon materials (e.g. mass timber).
- Design of civil buildings: including environmentally friendly tertiary buildings.
- Drafting of commercial documents for a supply or a service contract
- Negotiating with external suppliers and service contract providers
- Project management
- Contract management
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working
- Managing self: appreciating humour and defusing tensions by seeking to remain positive in all situations; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes
Spoken and written English and French. Ability to draw-up technical specifications, contracts and/or reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.12.2022 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SCE-PPM-2022-143-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer