Practitioner / consultant
Careers that Change Lives
Medtronic’s Cardiac and Vascular Group brings all our cardiac and vascular businesses together into one cross-functional, collaborative operating unit to employ the full breadth of our talent, technologies, products, services, and solutions to address the needs of customers and patients across the globe. The Cardiac Rhythm and Heart Failure (CRHF) Software team is one of the most cutting-edge teams within Medtronic, working with various software technologies in application software for cloud, on-premise deployment, and of course mobile applications with BT/BLE communication, and interfacing with embedded software for management and control of implantable medical devices. Medtronic’s Cardiac and Vascular Group brings all our cardiac and vascular businesses together into one cross-functional, collaborative operating unit to employ the full breadth of our talent, technologies, products, services, and solutions to address the needs of customers and patients across the globe. The Cardiac Rhythm and Heart Failure (CRHF) Software team is one of the most cutting-edge teams within Medtronic, working with various software technologies in application software for cloud, on-premise deployment, and of course mobile applications with BT/BLE communication, and interfacing with embedded software for management and control of implantable medical devices.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
As the Distinguished Mobile Architect for the Cardiac Rhythm and Heart Failure (CRHF) R&D organization you will be driving the architecture of our mobile applications that physicians and cardiologists use to program our implanted devices and that patients use to monitor them. Come be the architect and thought leader for our increasingly important medical mobile device applications that alleviate pain, restore health, and extend life for 1.6M patients in 80 geographies.
This position is responsible for overall architecture and design of our mobile applications used by medical professionals at cardiac device implant time and during follow up care as well as by patients to provide remote monitoring. Your expertise and experience architecting and developing modern touch applications for iOS and Android platforms as we address the ever-increasing security requirements of our implanted devices, challenges of highly variable connected and disconnected networks around the world and increase code re-use and automated testing across our mobile applications. Our mobile applications communicate to implanted devices via BT/BLE and custom telemetry, and to our network software via Web Services, SOAP and REST over TCP/UDP. Bring your passion for quality to our class I-III medical device applications – where patients’ lives literally depend on us.
You’re as comfortable white-boarding, discussing and writing as you are doing POC’s to evaluate new technologies and solutions. You thrive on educating, coaching and mentoring others in our technical community. You’re a continuous learner, staying abreast of technology developments of the cloud providers. Come work for Medtronic. We were founded with a clear and concise mission statement that emphasizes the personal worth of our employees including job satisfaction, security, advancement opportunities and the means to share in the company’s success.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Develop the strategy and architecture that will reconcile and unify multiple tablet and phone based applications to increase code sharing, UX consistency and improved efficiency and reduced maintenance.
- Work with technical leads, back end application, data, security and other domain architects to establish common patterns and modules, reducing architecture and codebase variability.
- Work with our CareLink Network application architects to evolve back-end APIs and services for increased security, reliability and observability.
- Drive architecture testability so we can push our quality even higher and decrease cycle time with increased automation including end to end continuous system testing of our software and hardware ecosystem.
- Work with Senior Leaders, Program Development Managers and Product Owners to bring the voice of Architecture & Technology into our strategic direction.
- Work with Human Factors Engineers to bring the best touch-based user experience technology can offer to our diverse physician and patient users of all ages.
- Designs, develops, documents, tests, maintains, and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions.
- Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software.
- Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems.
- Ensures software standards are met.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience
- 15+ years in technical lead/Architect roles for software development teams building mission critical software, 8+ years in the mobile application space in environments applying modern engineering practices (Lean, Agile, DevOps).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or another technical field.
- Current hands-on implementation experience required: individual contributors only.
- Strong written and oral communication skills working with both leadership and engineers.
- Excellent attitude and aptitude with demonstrated strategic mindset that can drive change.
Nice to Have
- Experience with clinical domain systems and standards (e.g. Epic, HL7)
About Medtronic Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be. We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future. Physical Job Requirements The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America) Additional Information
FORTUNE NAMES MEDTRONIC TO 'CHANGE THE WORLD' LIST
FORTUNE puts Medtronic among the top 20 companies worldwide having a positive social impact through core business strategy.
INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY
We believe that when people from different cultures, genders, and points of view come together, innovation is the result — and everyone wins. Medtronic walks the walk, creating an inclusive culture where you can thrive.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here.
Practitioner / consultant