Financial Aid Programs

Bakersfield College
Posted on:


Research/project funding

Financial aid is money awarded to help you meet your educational expenses. There are many types of aid offered at Bakersfield College, funded by federal and state agencies and private organizations and are either need-based or non-need based. The major types are grants, scholarships, work study, and loans.

Federal Aid Programs

To apply for federal aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is free grant money to help with educational costs that does not have to be repaid. The amount of your Pell Grant is determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the Cost of Attendance at Bakersfield College, your enrollment status (i.e. half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time), and whether you attend part or all of the academic year. Federal Pell Grants are targeted to students with very high need.

Even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other forms of financial aid by doing a FAFSA and should still apply!

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This grant is reserved for students with the greatest financial need and does not have to be repaid. Unlike Federal Pell Grants, FSEOG funding is limited. Bakersfield College receives a predetermined amount of FSEOG funds for the school year and once those funds are used up, no additional awards can be made.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study program provides students with an opportunity to earn money for college expenses through part-time jobs on campus (some jobs may be available at select non-profit locations). Bakersfield College participates in both Federal and State work study programs. An eligible student may work up to 19 hours per week at the minimum wage of $11.00.

If offered Federal Work Study, contact the Job Placement Department to explore opportunities and get matched to a position on campus based on your skills, available hours, and need.

Federal Loans

Direct Loans are low-interest loans for you and/or your parents to help pay for educational expenses. There are different types of loans, subsidized, unsubsidized and Parent PLUS, and there are requirements. Visit our Direct Loans page for more information.

California - State Aid Programs

To apply for state aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application.

California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governorโ€™s Fee Waiver or BOGFW)

Visit our California College Promise Grant page for more information.

Cal Grants A, B, C

These state funded grants are available to California residents who apply by March 2nd for the next school year. Funding is limited. In addition to filing a FAFSA, a separate Cal Grant GPA Verification form is required. Eligibility is contingent upon state funding. You must be enrolled in 6 or more units to be eligible. Visit California Student Aid Commission: How to Apply for more information.

Cal Grant A is not available to students at a California Community College.

Cal Grant B provides assistance for educational expenses to students from disadvantaged and low-income families. A FAFSA application and a GPA verification form must be submitted by March 2nd. Awards range from $100 to $1672 per academic year.

Cal Grant C provides assistance to students who are enrolled in vocational/technical programs. Programs pre-requisites or general education classes do not qualify. Cal Grant C awards are a maximum of $1094 per academic year.

If you missed the March 2nd filing deadline, you may still qualify by meeting a September 2nd competitive Cal Grant deadline for California Community College students only. Manage your Cal Grant, at Web Grants 4 Students.

Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG)

The Full Time Student Success Grant is an annual grant awarded to students who have been recipients of the Cal Grant B and who are enrolled full-time (12 or more units).

Community College Completion Grant (CCCG)

The Completion Grant is an annual grant for students who are attending at least 15 units per term, who are on pace to finish their program within the timeframe shown on their comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP) for the entire length of their program, and who are Cal Grant eligible and Full-Time Student Success Grant eligible.

You are not automatically awarded the Completion Grant as a recipient of the Cal Grant and Success Grant. You must also meet the academic progress requirements. Complete a FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline as funding is limited.

Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program is for current or former foster youth to cover college expenses or career and technical training. You donโ€™t have to pay this money back and can use it for things like child care, transportation and rent. The Chafee Grant, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to availability of federal funds each year. Awards can be up to $5000 a year.

To qualify, you must:

Be eligible, or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday

Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year

To apply, you must submit the California Chafee Grant Program Application in addition to the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.

More Information

Posted on:


Research/project funding


Bakersfield , United States