Our program leading to the Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Three to five years after graduation, graduates of Vanderbilt’s Mechanical Engineering program will have:
continued to engage in lifelong learning, service, and mentoring;
demonstrated creative problem solving, collegial teamwork and a spirit of entrepreneurial leadership while meeting the expectations of their employers
stood out as innovators in the diverse international economic and cultural communities of the modern world.
Student Outcomes are statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation. These outcomes, as provided by ABET are as follows:
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering program will have:
1) an ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
2) an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
3) an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
4) an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
5) an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
6) an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
7) an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Student Enrollment and Graduation Rates
The official enrollment is determined each Fall on the 22nd day of class. As of Fall 2018, 251 undergraduate students were enrolled in the mechanical engineering program.
The School of Engineering conferred 73 Bachelor of Engineering degrees in mechanical engineering in May 2018. Statistics concerning graduation rates and job placement are maintained by the School of Engineering.
Nashville , United States