Executive / senior industry position
Job Title: Senior Powertrain Engineer
Function: Electrification Apps
Reporting to: Engineering Manager
Date of preparation: July 2021
The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
Purpose of the Role
Leads the electric powertrain system within the hardware team for Micromobility applications. To define, own and deliver lightweight Electric Powertrain system from concept through to production.
- Defines and delivers Electric Powertrain systems and ensures deliverables are on target to meet long-term business goals.
- Finds and utilises the right technologies for testing, product development and final product selection, while managing significant risk.
- Takes responsibility for technical/architectural decisions and processes.
- Directs time ensuring optimal use of skills and experience in providing most value to the business.
- Leads disruptive change to a positive outcome, using sound engineering principles; thinks outside the box.
- Adheres to safe working practices.
- Specifying and delivering test fixtures during product development.
- Main point of contact for Electric Powertrain systems for feasibility, functionality and resolution of technical issues.
- There is likely to be occasional travel and some out of hours working depending on project commitments.
- Co-ordinate powertrain system and supplier comparison studies, generate RFQs and evaluate their responses to influence management decisions.
- Ability to liaise with 3rd party suppliers and internal stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- First class degree or upper 2nd Engineering degree or other highly quantitative field (or equivalent experience).
- A proven background in high pressured, time critical Systems Engineering roles specifically for powertrain products.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and use of electric powertrain systems.
- Proven experience in designing and running tests on a dyno to validate electric powertrains.
- Capable of designing a dyno set-up, specifying suitable power supplies, electric motors, control units and safety protection.
- Excellent workshop skills for fabrication, adjustment and/or assembly of parts as required.
- A strong background in system design capture and conduct of failure analyses such as FMEA/FTA.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent technical knowledge. Able to quickly build rapport with peers and stakeholders. Able to tactfully challenge without alienating.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of quality management such as standards, regulations and applicable policies and procedures such as information, change and configuration management.
- Experience managing suppliers to achieve challenging technical targets in a time-sensitive project
- Experience with specification and optimisation of lightweight powertrain systems including battery, motor and motor controllers.
- Chartership with relevant professional body (IET, IMechE etc) highly desirable.
- Experience with requirements management and electric powertrain simulation tools. (Star-CCM and/or Ansys MotorCAD, MATLAB big bonus)
- Familiar with development and integration of one of the following High Voltage components: electric machines, power electronics and/or batteries.
You will be a key representative of McLaren Technology Group’s Values and Behaviours, the framework of which can be found here.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail all duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature which are commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
McLaren Applied are committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) and promote DEI in all we do.
Executive / senior industry position
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom