Corporate / senior
2101 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Wilmington, CA 90744
Corporate / senior
- Provides electrical engineering technical support and guidance in all aspects of repairs to electrical systems including power distribution, lighting, heating, motor repair, motor controls, cable repair, electrostatic precipitators, variable speed drives and other electrical systems necessary for the efficient and safe operations of a refinery. This includes providing support to maintenance technicians to address day-to-day issues on an as needed basis and working with multi-disciplines to address immediate operational and/or reliability threats.
- Has familiarity with maintenance and design aspects of power distribution systems operating at 69kV and below. Provides strong technical guidance on maintenance and design aspects of electrical utilization systems operating at 5kV and below.
- Provides support through all phases of capital and expense projects. Participates in technical reviews to ensure detailed electrical engineering meets design specifications, codes and engineering standards. Assists team in Project Execution stage in completion of detailed design, construction and installation of facilities and equipment.
- Provides engineering support for investigations on adverse incidents involving electrical system disturbances and electrical equipment failures. Ensures refinery compliance with Process Safety Management and Management of Change (MOC).
- Ability to take multi-disciplinary approach to projects and initiatives that involve high degree of interaction between departments using own experience and outside sources.
- In conjunction with other engineers and Maintenance, assists in design and implementation of reliability-centered maintenance programs for critical electrical equipment. Advocates benefits of reliability practices and fosters integration into plant operations. Works with electricians and E&I technicians. Reviews procedure manuals for technical adequacy.
- Has working knowledge of industry standards and practices such as API RP 500 for Hazardous Area Classifications, NFPA 70 National Electric Code, NFPA 70E Electrical Safety in the Work Place, IEEE specifications and guidelines and ANSI American National Standards Institute with ability to enforce and follow these standards and practices.
- Has working knowledge of computer based electrical systems studies such as load flow, motor starting (static and dynamic), short circuit, protection coordination and arc flash with the ability to independently conduct these studies or thoroughly review studies by others.
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights and weekends, during times of need (e.g. turnarounds, unplanned outages, critical cutovers, etc.) in process operations environment and during periods of inclement weather. Can accesses areas of refinery requiring use of stairs and/or ladders to inspect critical equipment. Responds to upset conditions during off-hours.
Experience and EDUCATION
- Minimum undergraduate degree in electrical or instrumentation engineering required.
- Minimum 10 years electrical/instrument engineering experience in refining industry required.
**This position is part of an Engineering Technical Ladder with multiple levels. The successful candidate will be placed at a level commensurate with experience and qualifications. **
Tesoro Corporation, a Fortune 100 company, is a leading independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products with a strategically focused presence in the western United States. Tesoro, through our subsidiaries, owns and operates seven refineries with a combined capacity of over 895,000 barrels per day. Our retail-marketing system includes over 2,400 retail stations under the ARCO®, Shell®, Exxon®, Mobil®, USA Gasoline™, Rebel™ and Tesoro® brands. Our full-service logistics business, a master limited partnership formed by Tesoro Corporation as Tesoro Logistics LP (TLLP), owns and operates 4,000 miles of crude oil, refined products and natural gas pipelines; 29 crude oil and refined products truck and marine terminals; 15 million barrels of storage capacity; two crude oil rail facilities; and four natural gas processing complexes. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, our operations span 18 states.