A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 58,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
United As One for Patients, our purpose in Healthcare is to help create, improve and prolong lives. We develop medicines, intelligent devices and innovative technologies in therapeutic areas such as Oncology, Neurology and Fertility. Our teams work together across 6 continents with passion and relentless curiosity in order to help patients at every stage of life. Joining our Healthcare team is becoming part of a diverse, inclusive and flexible working culture, presenting great opportunities for personal development and career advancement across the globe.
At EMD Serono the primary responsibility of this Scientist position will be protein expression from mammalian cell cultures to support discovery research. The candidate will be working with both transient and stable expression systems. New technology will be evaluated to develop and optimize the cell culture processes to improve the productivity and quality. The Scientist will generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner, providing technical reports, protocols, and scientific presentations as needed. The Scientist will also be working with bioreactor operations from bench top scale up to 200L bioreactors. In addition, the Scientist will also serve as trainer and mentor for junior staff in the laboratory.
Who you are:
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Biological Sciences, or related discipline with 5+ years’ experience in mammalian cell culture OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Biological Sciences, or related discipline with 8+ years’ experience in mammalian cell culture
- Advanced knowledge of principles and techniques in mammalian cell growth and protein production including transient transfection and fed-batch protein production
- Experience in conducting the cell culture processes from bench top scale up to 200L bioreactor
- Direct experience with mammalian cell lines such as CHO and HEK
- Understanding of the principles of Quality by Design and ability to apply DOE to process development
- Ability to independently develop, design and conduct cell culture experiments and evaluate new technologies to increase product yield and process understanding using design of experiment
- Develop, maintain and demonstrate advanced knowledge of principals and techniques in cell culture, bioreactor operation, protein production in both fed-batch and perfusion mode
- Perform data analyses, write protocols, author development technical reports, and provide internal and external presentations
- Communicate effectively with internal and external teams and represent group in project update meetings
- Ability to mentor and support junior staff and build a culture of support and collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.