Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join the Superconducting Magnet Technology (SMT) Section, part of the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group within the Technology (TE) Department. The Section has as main mandate the design and fabrication of innovative superconducting short prototype magnets for ongoing LHC upgrades and future accelerators along with the development of associated technology and engineering processes. SMT is also responsible for the superconducting magnet insulation development and provides CERN-wide support for polymer casting and rapid prototyping.
The section is presently focusing on high field magnet development primarily relying on Nb3Sn technology. The next few years will be crucial in the demonstration of the readiness of this technology for large scale accelerator application and in exploring its high field limits.
As a Production Engineer in the SMT Section, you will:
- Play a key role in the fabrication of the next generation of Nb3Sn magnets by:
- Taking in charge the tooling development for coil fabrication
- Supervising the coil fabrication as well as the magnet assembly
- Ensuring the quality control for each step of the fabrication
- Contribute to engineering and technology development from the mock-up phase to the magnet assembly by combining CAD design supervision, material and process qualification, manufacturing follow-up and instrumentation.
- Oversee assembly tooling design, maintenance and calibration with support from the technical team.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical, or electro-mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience in mechanical or electromechanical equipment design
- Initial experience in precised assembly or construction
- Experience in mechanical or electrical quality control
Experience in the following fields will be considered an asset:
- Initial experience in superconducting magnet engineering
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques
- Construction, test and installation of superconducting magnets and systems
- Quality management
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Solving problems: seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.01.2023 at midnight (00h00 CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MSC-SMT-2022-157-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer