Mid-level industry position
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have experience in procurement and would you like to participate in the activities related to the Organization's procurement of supplies and services for CERN’s Accelerators and Technology Sector (ATS)? Take part!
You will join the Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer Department (IPT), which is responsible for all of the Organization’s procurement, knowledge and technology transfer activities.
The Procurement and Industrial Services Group (PI) is responsible for procuring all supplies and services for the Organization, ensuring that the specified and contractual technical, delivery and performance requirements are met at the lowest possible overall cost whilst achieving balanced industrial returns for CERN Member States and respecting CERN's Procurement Rules. The Group monitors and reports procurement activities and statistics to CERN Management and Member State representatives.
The Accelerators and Technology Section (IPT-PI-AT) is responsible for procuring all supplies for the ATS Sector.
As a Procurement Officer, you will be involved in a full range of activities related to the Organization's procurement of supplies, and in particular technical equipment, accelerator components, and a broad range of technologies.
- Advise and support the Organization's ATS Sector and assist in identifying procurement strategies within budgetary and time constraints;
- Prepare price enquiries and invitations to tender in accordance with the Organization's Procurement Rules and on an international basis;
- Analyse offers, prepare proposals for adjudications and submit these to the Management;
- Ensure the preparation, negotiation and follow-up of numerous orders and contracts;
- Develop and maintain numerous contacts at all levels, within and outside the Organization.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of economics, purchasing, law, engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of orders and contracts related to the provision of goods, equipment and services in an international environment;
- Demonstrated experience with European markets and international standards related to the procurement of goods, equipment and services in at least one of the following areas: electrical engineering, electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, vacuum and low-temperature engineering;
- Experience in sourcing new suppliers and alternative supply chains.
- Drafting of commercial documents for a supply or a service contract
- Defining procurement strategies;
- Managing procurement procedures within tight timelines;
- Managing bid opening processes;
- Performing critical examination and detailed analysis of commercial offers;
- Managing and following up commercial aspects of contracts;
- Sourcing new suppliers;
- Developing and presenting high-quality statistics on procurement.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; projecting self-confidence when presenting ideas, proposals and opinions.
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Solving problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to draw-up technical specifications and commercial documentation.
- Basic knowledge of French language would be an asset or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12:00 CET 29.08.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IPT-PI-AT-2022-68-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Procurement Professional