Mid-level industry position
Share this Job
The Mechanical Startup Specialist is responsible for the startup, commissioning, and initial operation of assigned power plant systems and equipment at the South Field Energy Project (SFEP). SFEP is a combined cycle power plant (CCPP) located in Wellsville, Ohio. The Mechanical Startup Specialist will report to the Lead Mechanical Startup Specialist.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, and directs startup activities within a discipline for the assigned project(s). Provides startup supervision or assistance at the jobsite of certain projects as assigned;
- Performs and leads risk assessments of assigned tasks including Field Level Hazard Assessments (FLHA) and Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) in accordance with procedures;
- Supervises, coordinates, and reviews the work of assigned engineers, estimates staffing needs and schedules, and assigns work to meet completion dates;
- Preparation of system testing and turnover documentation including scoped documents, test records, test procedures and other similar required documents;
- Supervise, direct, coordinate with, and manage subcontractor personnel as required to support project commissioning activities (i.e.: HVAC , fire protection commissioning, chemical cleaning services, hydrolazing services etc.);
- Prepare system preoperational test procedures for assigned systems. Complete testing per Bechtel Standard Test and Commissioning Procedures (STCP) and Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPP), pre-op procedures and other specific procedures which may be required to be prepared in this position. Complete all test records, data sheets, etc. to fully document testing activities;
- Prepare system turnover packages in accordance with project procedures by assembling and reviewing all system test documentation (all disciplines) for adequacy and completeness;
- Prepare preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for maintaining equipment once it has been commissioned. Coordinate overall plant maintenance program following turnover from construction;
- Coordinate with, provide direction to, and manage supplier Technical Assistants to complete commissioning of vendor supplied equipment;
- Prepare the necessary design change and non-conformance documents in accordance with Bechtel procedures as required to document as-built conditions and/or properly resolve deficiencies;
- Prepare detailed startup plans for assigned project system commissioning activities, integrate all discipline and functional activities into these plans; Provide input and updates as required to maintain accuracy and progress of project schedules and other progress tracking tools;
- Coordinate with Field Supervision to provide direction in the supervision field manual craft as required to perform assigned tasks; monitor and control craft performance and be accountable for performance of the craft against the budget;
- Participate in system turnover walkdowns for both Construction and Client turnovers; initiate, track and resolve punchlist items for assigned areas of responsibility;
- Apply knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria pertinent to utility scale electrical systems such as OSHA, ASME, NFPA, AWWA, ASHRAE, HEI to development of test plans and procedures;
- Using well developed interpersonal skills to interact closely and frequently with client operations and maintenance (O&M) personnel. Provide on-the-job (OJT) training to client O&M personnel;
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Bechtel Standard Applications SetRoute, Inspec, Teamworks, Q4 Safety, E-Track and Aconex in the execution of work assignments;
- Work hours as required, including shift-work, overtime, weekends and holidays as necessary to support the project;
- Perform other duties as directed in support of project activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, construction management or related field with 9 years of experience in mechanical; or in lieu of Bachelor’s degree 15 years of experience working in the power industry.
- 5 years experience in the utility scale power generation & distribution industry, five of which have been in commissioning, maintenance or operation of a combined cycle power plant (CCPP).
- At least five years experience in supervising and managing craft labor to perform maintenance or commissioning activities;
- Must be able to walk at least 3 miles per day over uneven ground and be able to climb stair towers 75’ in height at least 6 times per day to access project equipment.
- Must have the right to work and remain in the United States.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Mid-level industry position