- Maintains awareness of trends in bio-composite and bio-derived materials as well as underlying societal and market drivers through appropriate sources. (e.g. journals, trade publications, news, academic sites, trade shows, conferences, continuing education)
- Devises and drafts test plans; reviews with senior engineering and technical staff.
- Implements testing at lab and pilot scale to prove out proposed technologies.
- Executes research, development and testing methods.
- Participates in relationships with outside partners in academia, industry and start-up companies.
- Interprets physical and analytical material testing results; uses results to make informed decisions.
- Must be able to work directly with minimal or no supervision on pilot scale extrusion and molding equipment, including reconfiguring equipment. (e.g. extruder screws)
- Directly interacts with new and potential outside market sources to understand and rationalize potential customer needs using direct interviews, phone interviews, questionnaires and surveys.
- Interacts with senior engineering and management staff for idea exchange and guidance.
- May be assigned additional duties and/or special projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Polymer Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering, Macromolecular Science and Engineering or related field of engineering with 0-2 years of experience in formulating, and testing polymer-based composites.
- Experience with developing composites from bio-based fillers and / or bio-based polymers is highly desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Minitab preferred.
- May have to work overtime and may be assigned to other shifts based on company needs.
Junior industry position
12000 Canon Blvd, Newport News, VA 23606
Newport News , United States