Researcher / analyst
This is a public notice flyer to notify interested applicants of anticipated vacancies. Applications will not be accepted through this flyer. Interested applicants must follow the directions in the "How to Apply" section of this flyer to be considered. There may or may not be actual vacancies filled from this flyer. Notice of Result letters will not be sent to applicants who respond to this flyer.
- You will be responsible for the Research, Development, and Test and Evaluation activities across a variety of functional subsystems which include prime power sources, pulsed power systems, radio frequency sources, and high-power antennas.
- You will investigate RF propagation, target interaction to optimize performance and lethality effects.
- You will be part of a team of scientists, engineers, and technicians that interface across projects to ensure success in the area of High Powered Microwaves (HPM), Radio Frequency (RF), and Pulsed Power (PP) system development.
- You will support hardware integration of associated components onto platforms (participate in assembly and installation of hardware both at NSWCDD and at various remote test sites).
- You will ensure development of requirements for, and design and execute tests on subcomponents and subsystems of HPM and PP technologies.
- You will ensure the success of electrical design, construction, test, and analysis of HPM and PP components, test fixtures, and systems for NSWCDD.
- You will provide subject matter technical support and advice to on-going and future projects.
- You will interface with technical personnel and customers to clarify tasking, identify problems, suggest changes, and develop and document final solutions.
- You will lead advanced technology development efforts in the areas of Electromagnetics (EM) and Directed Energy (DE).
- You will perform analysis and problem solving techniques necessary to execute professional scientific/engineering work.
- You will support PP and HPM system design, development, test, and analysis including electromagnetic (EM) and radio frequency data acquisition, test design, optimization, fault analysis, and effects studies.
- You will design the PP and HPM technologies to include components and system development of RF generators, modulators, power sources, antennas, and thermal management.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). You must be certified as a Career Field Engineering Level I. Certification is required within 24 months of appointment.
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the ND-03 (GS-09-11 equivalent) grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: Conducting analytical investigations using the scientific method to develop High Powered Microwaves (HPM), Radio Frequency (RF), and Pulsed Power (PP) weapon systems to support the U.S. Navy's surface warfare weapons proliferation initiative.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
ND-0850 and ND-0855: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
TO QUALIFY FOR ND-0850 and ND-0855:
Individual Occupational Requirements
A. Degree: Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
Additional Educational requirements can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf
Researcher / analyst
6149 Welsh Rd #203
VA 22448 Dahlgren , United States