Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a skilled electronics engineer, with experience in system design and validation? Are you looking to stretch yourself and take on a new challenge? Take Part!
You will join:
- The Electrical Power Converter Group (TE-EPC) of the Technology Department (TE), responsible for several thousand power systems found throughout CERN’s accelerator complex.
- The Converter Controls Electronics Section (TE-EPC-CCE), which designs and realises the electronic control systems for CERN’s power converters.
- A short video giving of the group and role within CERN is here https://videos.cern.ch/record/2688929 more information about the department is here http://te-dep.web.cern.ch/
As an electronics Engineer, you will work in collaboration with many colleagues in a dynamic team environment to design and validate electronic control systems for power converter controls.
The design function will comprise gathering of user requirements, designing using standard CERN parts, and the specification and design of new electronics where required.
The validation function will require skills in board and system testing, using bed of nails fixtures controlled from PXI test platforms, and writing test routines. The test routines are automated using industry test software such as teststand, and require software skills in C and python. We are also exploiting hardware-in-the-loop platforms as part of the test validation framework.
- Test, validate and ensure coherency of code and hardware releases across the control platforms of the power converter group
- Design digital and programmable electronic systems for the control of power converters, using standard electronic modules
- Design and prototype equipment for the validation of electronic modules and chassis
- Document and implement initial converter configurations in the accelerator complex
- Perform tests, commissioning and operation of controls electronics, working with others to solve problems, taking part in the on-call service for converter controls.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in electronics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience developing digital electronic modules, using CAD tools such as Altium Designer, or an equivalent.
- Experience with digital electronics design, and some experience with programmable logic components.
- Proven experience in the validation of digital electronics, using modular test solutions, bed of nails test solutions or hardware in the loop testing or other equivalents.
- Proven experience in creating automated test routines using industry standard software such as Teststand, and in writing test software in python or C.
- Experience with test, commissioning / operation / hand-over of electronic systems.
- Ability in programmable logic design using VHDL, and simulation using Modelsim or an equivalent, would be an advantage.
- Experience with code versioning systems, using GIT, would be an advantage.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits
- Testing and measurement of digital electronic circuits
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages
- Design and development of systems based on standardized modules
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Solving Problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind Defining clear objectives, milestones and deliverables before initiating work/ project
Spoken and written English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.08.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-EPC-CCE-2020-83-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer