Researcher / analyst
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
IntroductionJoin a great team pushing the limits of particle accelerator alignment to shape the future of CERN accelerators! Participate in the development of new high precision alignment methods with sensors based on advanced technologies and novel adjustment solutions! Take part! The Geodetic Metrology Group within the Beams Department provides metrology and alignment for components installed in the particle accelerators and related experiments throughout the CERN complex, and handles all related geodetic aspects. The group is also responsible for the research and development related to all these tasks for upgrades to existing machines and for future particle accelerator and experimental projects.
The successful Engineer will join the High Precision Alignment technologies Section, responsible for the design, implementation, operation and data analysis of 3D alignment solutions for specific components requiring permanent position measurement and remote adjustments with micrometric accuracy in harsh environments.
As an electromechanical engineer in the GM-HPA section, you will:
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team on the high precision alignment of particle accelerator components, collaborating with research teams inside and outside of CERN, to benefit from the latest solutions in this field.
- Develop electromechanical systems for high precision alignment. Starting with the conceptual design and specification through to their installation, including 3D models, 2D drawings, material procurement, production follow-up, assembly, and the associated acquisition/control systems and its supporting administration, such as relevant documentation writing.
- Supervise technicians and engineers in electronics, optics, mechanics and controls; for the design, construction, assembly, installation, testing and commissioning of high precision alignment systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electromechanics or mechatronics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical design, preferably in high precision mechanics.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of electronics and motion control systems.
- Experience in instrumentation for measurement systems.
- Experience coordinating a team in a technical project.
- Experience in the design and simulation of optical and optoelectronic systems would be an asset.
- Design of electromechanical systems: such as positioning and motion control equipment.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: such as C++, Python, Matlab or LabVIEW.
- Working in teams: Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues. Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating accountability: Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Presenting information accurately and objectively. Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Achieving results: Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: Demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
Spoken and written English (French would be an advantage): ability to draw up technical texts, as well as ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday 6th October 2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation controlled areas, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Interventions in underground installations, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-GM-HPA-2021-105-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Engineer